Zoleka Mandela passed away of cancer Monday evening at the age of 43. The granddaughter of South Africa’s first democratically elected President Nelson Mandela, was surrounded by friends and family in her final moments.
Zoleka Mandela is seen as an inspiration for detailing her cancer treatment and her history of drug addiction. She has raised “awareness about cancer prevention” as well as “breaking down the stigma surrounding the disease”.
Zoleka was the granddaughter of Nelson Mandela’s second wife, Winnie and was only 10 when her grandfather was released from prison in 1990 after 27 years in detention. Nelson Mandela died in 2013 at the age of 95. Through Mr Mandela’s legacy Zoleka stood up for the betterment of her community. After her 13-year-old daughter was killed in a car accident in 2010 she campaigned for better road safety. She later lost a son who was born prematurely. She is survived by four children who she loved very much!
Zoleka was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 32. She was in remission after receiving treatment but the illness later returned. In 2022 she confirmed that she had cancer in her liver and lungs, it then spread to other organs.
“What do I tell my children? How do I tell them that this time around I may not get to live my life as a survivor? How do I tell them everything will be OK when it’s not? I’m dying… I don’t want to die,” she posted on Instagram in August 2022.
In an interview with Kaya FM in April, Ms Mandela said: “I’m learning to be okay with my eventuality.” In her autobiography ‘When Hope Whispers’, she documents her emotionally inspirational story. Rest In Heaven Zoleka Mandela!
Also See: Learn About The 54 Countries of Africa
- RIP William Spriggs: Tributes Pour In For Chief AFL-CIO Economist And Noted Howard University Professor
- Tributes Pour In For Randall Robinson After Anti-Apartheid Icon And TransAfrica Founder Dies At 81
- Fred Hickman, Legendary Sports Broadcaster, Dies At 66
- Wiley Head Basketball Coach And Former WNBA Star Tiffany Jackson Dies At 37
- Queen Elizabeth II Dies At 96
- Bernard Shaw, Legendary CNN Anchor And Pioneering Black Journalist, Dies At 82
- Report: Gospel Legend LaShun Pace Dead At 60
- Toni Braxton Speaks Out On Passing Of Sister, Traci: ‘We Will Miss Her Dearly’
- NFL Icon John Madden Dies At 85
- Lee Elder, First Black Golfer To Play In The Masters, Dead At 87
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Content in Your Inbox:
Zoleka Mandela, Nelson Mandela’s Granddaughter Dies Of Cancer At 43 was originally published on woldcnews.com
Throwback Thursday: Classic Gospel Songs That Still Excite The Black Church
Bishop Walter Scott Thomas, Pastor Of The New Psalmist Baptist Church In Baltimore, Announces Retirement
12 Gospel Artists Who Are Also Pastors
Bishop Carlton D. Pearson Dies At 70 After Battle With Cancer
Thomas TC Clay Has Passed Away
Gospel Singer DOE Announces Engagement: "And So It Begins"
Rhea Walls Of The Walls Group Gives Birth To Baby Boy [PHOTOS]
The DMV Salutes Richard Smallwood For His 75th Birthday! (LIVE STREAM)