In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2017
1. Della Reese, 86Source:Getty 1 of 12
2. Robert Guillaume, 89Source:Getty 2 of 12
3. Novella Nelson, 77Source:Getty 3 of 12
4. Dick Gregory, 84Source:Getty 4 of 12
5. Prodigy (left) of Mobb Deep, 42Source:Getty 5 of 12
6. Linda Hopkins, 92Source:Getty 6 of 12
7. Charlie Murphy, 57Source:Getty 7 of 12
8. Mary Tyler Moore, 808 of 12
9. Lee “Q” O’Denat, 439 of 12
10. William Hilliard, 8910 of 12
11. Bishop Eddie Long, 6311 of 12
12. Roy Innis, 8212 of 12
Actress and Singer Della Reese has passed away.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text BMORE to 52140 to join our text club!
Roma Downey, friend and co-star of the show Touched By An Angel released a statement on behalf of the family to People Magazine:
“On behalf of her husband, Franklin Lett, and all her friends and family, I share with you the news that our beloved Della Reese has passed away peacefully at her California home last evening surrounded by love. She was an incredible wife, mother, grandmother, friend, and pastor, as well as an award-winning actress and singer. Through her life and work she touched and inspired the lives of millions of people.”
Born Delloreese Patricia Early on July 6, 1931 in Detroit, Reese began singing at her local church at 6 years old. By 13 she was performing and touring with Gospel legend Mahalia Jackson’s gospel group. By the 1950’s Reese began recording Jazz albums and became a star.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
In the 60’s started acting and would appear TV and movies. In 1970 Reese made history as she became the first black woman to co-host The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
Reese became an ordained minister in the 1980s through the Christian New Thought branch known as Unity, leading her to found her own church, Understanding Principles for Better Living (also known as “UP Church”).
In 1994 Della Reese starred in one of her most famous roles, Tess on the CBS series Touched By an Angel beginning in 1994. The show was a hit and ran until 2003.
She leaves behind children Deloreese, James, Franklin, and Dominique, as well as husband Franklin Lett.
Reese was 86 years old.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisebaltimore
- Ericaism: Pray Like Your Mama & Daddy [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Big Baller Bros: LeBron & Melo Have Earned Almost Half A Billi Combined (And Counting)
- Dawn Strozier’s Tips For People Who Want To Lose Weight Quickly [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Will McMillan Tells What Inspired Him To Cover James Cleveland’s “Best Thing” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
12 Black TV Moms We Wished Raised Us
1. These are some of our favorite, loving, bad a** TV moms. We love them so much, they might as well be our real moms in our heads.1 of 11
2. Rainbow Johnson-Black-Ish2 of 11
3. Nikki Parker- The Parkers3 of 11
4. Dee Mitchell-Moesha4 of 11
5. Vivian Banks—Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air5 of 11
6. Lisa Landry—Sister, Sister6 of 11
7. Tasha Mack–The Game7 of 11
8. Janet Kyle–My Wife And Kids8 of 11
9. Harriet Winslow–Family Matters9 of 11
10. Maya Lewis-Scandal10 of 11
11. Clair Huxtable–The Cosby Show11 of 11
Touched By Angel Actress & Singer Della Reese Has Passed was originally published on praisedc.hellobeautiful.com