Each year, November is recognized as National Adoption Awareness Month. While all adoption-related issues are important, the particular focus of this month is the adoption of children currently in foster care.
The first major effort to promote awareness of the need for adoptive families for children in the foster care system occurred in Massachusetts. In 1976, then-Governor Mike Dukakis proclaimed Adoption Week and the idea grew in popularity and spread throughout the nation. President Gerald Ford made the first National Adoption Week proclamation, and in 1990, the week was expanded to a month due to the number of states participating and the number of events.
During the month, states, communities, public and private organizations, businesses, families, and individuals celebrate adoption as a positive way to build families. Across the nation, activities and observances such as recognition dinners, public awareness and recruitment campaigns, and special events spotlight the needs of children who need permanent families. It also includes National Adoption Day, traditionally a Saturday, which is observed in courthouses across the nation as thousands of adoptions are finalized simultaneously.
If you are interested in adopting visit a site like Lifetime Adoptions!
- National Adoption Center Wants You To Think About It
- Kym Whitley: “I Always Say Adoption Around Him” [VIDEO]
Make sure to join our Facebook Family!
Celebrities Who Have Been Adopted Or Who Have Adopted
1. Choosing Your FamilySource: 1 of 17
2. Rosario DawsonSource: 2 of 17
3. Nelson MandelaSource: 3 of 17
4. Mary Louise ParkerSource: 4 of 17
5. Sandra BullockSource: 5 of 17
6. MadonnaSource: 6 of 17
7. Viola DavisSource: 7 of 17
8. Charlize TheronSource: 8 of 17
9. BrangelinaSource: 9 of 17
10. Rachel CrowSource: 10 of 17
11. Connor & Tom CruiseSource: 11 of 17
12. Marilyn MonroeSource: 12 of 17
13. Jamie FoxxSource: 13 of 17
14. Eartha KittSource: 14 of 17
15. Steve JobsSource: 15 of 17
16. Reverend Jesse JacksonSource: 16 of 17
17. Bill ClintonSource: 17 of 17