Here’s the big highlight in the war of words between President Donald Trump and Black athletes.
This comes in response to the president’s attack on Stephen Curry and the NFL player’s protest of police brutality led by Colin Kaepernick, whom Trump called a “son of a b**ch.” Many across the nation are planning to #TakeTheKnee on Sunday in solidarity with the protest and in response to Trump.
The president, however, responded on Sunday by doubling on Twitter, calling on NFL owners to “fire or suspend” players who keel during the national anthem. His appeal is more red meat to his base, which wraps its racism in the flag and patriotism.
On Saturday, LeBron James called Trump a “bum” after the president strangely said he will not invite Curry to the White House after the Golden State Warriors superstar announced on Friday that he’s not interested in meeting Trump for the traditional champion’s White House visit.
James later released this video explaining his frustration with a president who is using sports and other opportunities to divide the nation.
Here’s what some other athletes had to say to Trump:
Meanwhile, several NFL team owners have issued statements supporting the players, the Miami Herald reported.
According to the Herald, the Buffalo Bill held a voluntary team meeting on Saturday. Following that meeting, owners Terry and Kim Pegula released a comment calling Trump’s remarks “divisive and disrespectful to the entire NFL community.”
“Our players have the freedom to express themselves in a respectful and thoughtful manner and we all agreed that our sole message is to provide and to promote an environment that is focused on love and equality,” the statement continued.
San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York described Trump’s remarks as “callous and offensive,” adding that the president’s words are “contradictory to what this great country stands for,” The Herald reported.
York stated that the players are exercising their constitutional rights to stimulate a national debate about social injustice.
SOURCE: Miami Herald
In Honor Of President's Day, Here Are Photos That Will Make You Miss Barack Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 14
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 14
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 14
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 14
5. Two TermsSource:Getty 5 of 14
6. Michelle and Barack Host a State DinnerSource:Getty 6 of 14
7. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 7 of 14
8. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 8 of 14
9. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 9 of 14
10. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 10 of 14
11. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 11 of 14
12. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 12 of 14
13. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 13 of 14
14.14 of 14
Athletes & Team Owners Condemn Trump Protest Criticism, As Many Plan To #TakeTheKnee was originally published on newsone.com