Next week we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr Day is celebrated. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day officially named Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., is an American federal holiday marking the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. It is observed on the third Monday of January each year, which is around King’s birthday, January 15. All 50 states recognize the day and use it as a day of service. The day also celebrates the civil rights leader’s life and actions to liberate the African American community out of despair. Dr. King triumphed the belief that is guaranteed to every person as a creation of God because we are all created in God’s image.
Dr.King started his ministry in Ebenezer Baptist Church, located in Atlanta, Georgia.Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., was baptized as a child in the church. After giving a trial sermon to the congregation at Ebenezer at the age of 19 Martin was ordained as a minister. In 1960 Dr. King, Jr. became a co-pastor of Ebenezer with his father, “Daddy” King. He remained in that position until his death in 1968. Dr. King, Jr.’s funeral was held in the church.
Today, the church has been ear marked a National Treasure. The church has stood for about 124 years and is alive vibrantly in the community living out Dr.King’s Dream. More than 6,000 members are active in the church family. Today community-oriented programs, including a teen mother ministry, a tutoring program, counseling, a senior’s day care center and a food cooperative. Ebenezer’s Adult Day Care and Rehabilitation Program was instituted in 1976. It became incorporated as a nonprofit health and social agency in 1986, changing its name to Inter-generational Resource Center. It continues to provide recreational day care to the disabled and to senior citizens. They have a strong ministry providing a food pantry, prison outreach, and resources to our Katrina families and other families within the community, including scholarships to students and many other individuals who are in need of assistance in the community.
The current pastor is Rev. Dr. Raphael Gamaliel Warnock. He has been pastor since October 1, 2005.
Dr King’s Church is alive and vibrant. You can submit a prayer request here.
You can visit for worship as follows:
- Sunday Worship Service (8 am & 11am)
- Sunday School (9:30 am)
- Children’s Chapel (11:00 am)
- Youth Group (11:00 am, 3rd and 4th Sunday)
- WOW – Worship on Wednesday (7pm)
Dr.King would be proud.
Make sure to read:
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have A Dream Speech” Was Originally Delivered In A North Carolina High School
- How Martin Luther King Jr. Addressed Homosexuality And Marriage Pain
Make sure to join our Facebook Family
We Remember Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
1. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.1 of 12
2. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.2 of 12
3. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.3 of 12
4. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.4 of 12
5. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., 19635 of 12
6. Rev. Bernice King6 of 12
7. MLK Portrait, 20027 of 12
8. Martin Luther King III8 of 12
9. Martin Luther King III at MLK Memorial9 of 12
10. Funeral of Coretta Scott King, 200610 of 12
11. Rev. Bernice King11 of 12
12. King Family, 196612 of 12
MLK Jr’s Dream Now: What Martin Luther King Jr.’s Church Ebenezer Is Doing Now was originally published on elev8.com