The man who shot and killed ex-NFL player Will Smith was found guilty on Sunday night.
According to reports, a jury convicted Cardell Hayes of manslaughter and attempted manslaughter in a final vote of 10-2 following the road rage incident that left Smith dead and his wife injured. Hayes was originally charged with second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder, but was convicted of a lesser count.
From NBC News:
“Racquel’s heart is full of gratitude for the entire staff of the New Orleans District Attorney’s Office and the members of the police department who worked tirelessly on this case,” Lauren Renschler, a spokeswoman for Smith’s family said in a statement. Renschler said Racquel Smith would not publicly address the facts of the case until after Hayes’ sentencing.
Defense attorney John Fuller had argued earlier in the day that Hayes fired in self-defense and was the victim of a rushed investigation by police reacting to the death of a beloved football star.
SOURCE: NBC News
Remembering Greatness: The Celebrity Deaths Of 2016
1. Rapper Shawty Lo died in a fiery Atlanta car crash on the morning of Sept. 21.Source: 1 of 13
2. Sportscaster John Saunders passed away suddenly at the age of 61 on Aug. 10. The details surrounding his passing are still unclear.Source: 2 of 13
3. Actor Gene Wilder, best known for his role in ‘Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,’ died on Aug. 29 from Alzheimer’s disease.Source: 3 of 13
4. Legendary boxer Muhammad Ali passed away on June 3 after a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s.Source: 4 of 13
5. Actor Anton Yelchin, best known for his role as Chekov in ‘Star Wars,’ passed away minutes after a June 19 car accident.Source: 5 of 13
6. Actor Ron Lester died on Aug. 4 of kidney failure. He was best known for his role in ‘Not Another Teen Movie.’Source: 6 of 13
7. ‘The Voice’ star Christina Grimmie was shot dead at 22 years old by a man who opened fire on her while she signed autographs.Source: 7 of 13
8. Legendary singer Prince tragically died from an accidental prescription drug overdose on April 21. He was 57-years-old.Source: 8 of 13
9. WWF wrestler and actress Chyna died from an accidental overdose of Valium and Ambien on April 20. She was 45 years old.Source: 9 of 13
10. ‘Blood, Sweat, & Heels’ reality star Daisy Lewellyn died from a rare form of liver cancer on April 8.Source: 10 of 13
11. Singer Denise Matthews, aka Vanity, died from kidney failure at the age of 57 on Feb. 15. She was Prince’s protegée and ex-girlfriend.Source: 11 of 13
12. Singer Maurice White passed away on Feb. 3 after battling Parkinson’s disease. He was the founder of R&B group Earth, Wind, & Fire.Source: 12 of 13
13. Rock star David Bowie died on Jan. 10 after battling cancer for 18 months. He was 69.Source: 13 of 13
Justice Served: Jury Comes To Decision In Will Smith’s Road Rage Case was originally published on www.globalgrind.com