Clark Atlanta University and Spelman College are the latest institutions in a wave of HBCUs that have launched efforts to erase student debt. The Atlanta-based schools recently announced they would clear outstanding student balances for the 2020 and 2021 academic years, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD OUR APP AND TAKE US WITH YOU ANYWHERE!
The global health crisis has exacerbated financial strain for many HBCU students causing them to pause their studies or drop out of school due to the lack of affordability. This alarming issue prompted schools to step in and provide relief for scholars in need. “The past two academic years have been emotionally and financially challenging for you and your families due to the COVID-19 pandemic,” Clark Atlanta President George T. French Jr. wrote in a letter addressed to students, according to the news outlet. “I understand. That is why I am personally thankful for your resilience, perseverance, and ‘find a way or make one’ attitudes.” Mary Schmidt Campbell, who serves as president of Spelman College echoed French’s remarks noting the past year has been difficult for students to navigate. Spelman College is utilizing federal funds to wipe away the student debt and will also provide a tuition discount for students during the 2020-2021 academic year.
News about the debt elimination comes on the heels of South Carolina State University’s move to cancel $9.8 million in debt for students. “Our university was founded on the tenet of providing students with access to a quality affordable education. That’s exactly what we intend to do,” said South Carolina State University Acting President Alexander Conyers.
Wilberforce University announced it would clear more than $375,000 of student debt. Delaware State University pledged to cancel over $700,000 in student loans for over 220 students through the American Rescue Plan Act.
Black Americans' Most Iconic Moments In The Olympics
1. Muhammad Ali Lights The Olympic Torch (1996)Source:Getty 1 of 18
2. Simone Biles Wins Gold (2016)Source:Getty 2 of 18
3. Alice Coachman's High Jump Win (1948)Source:Getty 3 of 18
4. Vince Carter Dunks Over 7-Foot Frenchman (2000)Source:Getty 4 of 18
5. Gabby Douglas Makes Gymnastics History (2012)Source:Getty 5 of 18
6. The Dream Team (1992)Source:Getty 6 of 18
7. Black Power At The Mexico Olympics (1968)Source:Getty 7 of 18
8. Jackie Joyner-Kersee Overcomes Injury (1996)Source:Getty 8 of 18
9. USA Women's Basketball Team Wins Seventh Gold (2012)Source:Getty 9 of 18
10. Jesse Owens Crushes Hitler's Aryan Supremacy (1936)Source:Getty 10 of 18
11. Carl Lewis Becomes A Legend (1996)Source:Getty 11 of 18
12. Gail Devers Overcomes Illness (1992)Source:Getty 12 of 18
13. U.S. Boxing Team Brings Home Seven Medals (1976)Source:Getty 13 of 18
14. Michael Johnson Wins Double (1996)Source:Getty 14 of 18
15. John Taylor Becomes The First (1908)Source:Getty 15 of 18
16. Bob Hayes Makes History In The 100m (1964)Source:Getty 16 of 18
17. Dan O'Brien Comes Back (1996)Source:Getty 17 of 18
18. U.S. Boxing Team Wins Big (1984)Source:Getty 18 of 18
Spelman College, Clark Atlanta University Clear Outstanding Student Tuition Balances was originally published on newsone.com