It’s expected at this point that anything awesome the Obamas do, there’s going to be trolls who feel the opposite. But it’s always shocking how naive and idiotic some people can be when it comes to teenagers, Sasha and Malia Obama.
The girls were recently at their first State Dinner along side their parents President Barack and Michelle Obama, to honor Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. While their mother was shining in all her glory in a custom Jason Wu gown, the girls opted for age-appropriate Naeem Khan dresses.
They looked stunning in the dresses loaned to them —key word “loaned”— but somehow naysayers found a way to find a problem. The “issue” concerns the fact that their embroidered appliqué gowns were almost $20,000 apiece.
As noted by People StyleWatch the guiding principle seemed to be “princess moment,” as both girls selected super-romantic gowns from the designer’s recent collections. Malia, 17, chose a simple, sophisticated blush gown with a sweetheart neckline and allover crystal beading, which once retailed on Moda Operandi for $17,990. Sasha, 14, went for something a little bolder, deciding on a beaded lace and appliqué ballgown in shades of cranberry, turquoise, black and beige; it formerly sold for $19,990.
If anything, the designer made good money off the girls wearing his dresses. But no, tax payers’ money was not used to outfit them.
In 2014 the girls were being criticized for wearing short skirts and looking disinterested at The White House Turkey Pardon. “Act like being in the White House matters to you,” GOP staffer Elizabeth Lauten said in a Facebook post. “Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at the bar. And certainly don’t make faces at televised, public events.”
But what’s so interesting is that back in 2001, there’s was no criticizing from White House staffers when President George W. Bush’s 19-year-old twin daughters were charged with multiple underage alcohol offenses.
But y’all are mad about dresses…
The saying goes, as Black people you’ll always need to work two-or-three times as hard to achieve the same level of accolades as White folks. And apparently, that goes for being proper in public.
If there’s one thing we won’t miss with the Obamas leaving the White House is the ridiculous hate randoms throw at them 24-7.
The Obamas Slay At The State Dinner
1. Barack & Michelle Obama posing with the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Sophie Gregoire TrudeauSource:Getty 1 of 12
2. Our Fly POTUS and Canadian Prime Minster Gaze At Their Beautiful WivesSource:Getty 2 of 12
3. Barack & Michelle Arrive At The State DinnerSource:Getty 3 of 12
4. Michelle Obama Slays In A Custom Jason WuSource:Getty 4 of 12
5. Sasha Obama Serving In Naeem Khan Resort 2016 collectionSource:Getty 5 of 12
6. Sasha Obama Dress Cost $20KSource:Getty 6 of 12
7. Malia Stunned In Naeem Khan Pre-Fall 2015 CollectionSource:Getty 7 of 12
8. Malia's Dress Cost $18KSource:Getty 8 of 12
9. President Obama Looked Incredibly HandsomeSource:Getty 9 of 12
10. Grant Hill & Tamia Looked GorgeousSource:Getty 10 of 12
11. Grant Hill & TamiaSource:Getty 11 of 12
12. Ryan Reynonds & Blake Lively Look AmazeSource:Getty 12 of 12
Haters Gon’ Hate: People Are Mad About Sasha And Malia Obama’s $20k State Dinner Dresses was originally published on hellobeautiful.com