A coalition of Chicago community groups are urging local lawmakers to pass an ordinance that would enforce promises from the Obama Foundation of jobs and community development, the Chicago Sun Times reports.
Community stakeholders began calling for a benefits agreement two years ago when the foundation announced that the South Side would host President Barack Obama’s presidential library. Many expect the center to displace some longtime residents and fail to generate the jobs and other benefits that are promised.
According to the newspaper, scores of residents have gathered at several meetings to discuss their concerns and push the foundation to sign an agreement that guarantees the promises.
However, President Obama attended one of the meetings and told the residents that he would not sign a benefits agreement, The Sun Times said.
According to DNA Info, the former president said the agreement is unnecessary because as a nonprofit it would deliver resources to the community.
He added: “I know the neighborhood. I know that the minute you start saying ‘Well, we’re thinking about signing something that will determine who’s getting jobs and contracts and this and that’ … next thing I know, I’ve got 20 organizations coming out of the woodwork.”
Jay Travis, of the Kenwood Oakland Community Organization, told the news outlet that a lot is at stake.
“Will Chicago be home to all people regardless of race and income or will we sit back and watch city government systematically remove us?” he asked.
The Coalition’s website says that Chicago has a long history of displacing poor Black families to make “improvements” to the city.
Since the foundation has declined to sign an agreement, the coalition is pressing the City Council to put the promises in writing.
“From our perspective [an ordinance] is the best possible route to get something concrete, bound by contractual law and negotiated with the communities,” Jawanza Malone, executive director of the Kenwood-Oakland Community Organization, told the newspaper.
The two aldermen who represent districts near the Obama Center were unavailable to comments to The Sun Times.
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
Chicago Coalition Pushes Obama Foundation For Jobs was originally published on newsone.com