A Florida police department finds itself defending what appears to be excessive force in the arrest of a teenage girl that was caught on cell phone video outside of a mall in Coral Springs.
The video shows two officers from the Coral Springs Police Department on Thursday kneeling on the back of the 14-year-old girl, face down on the ground with her hands pinned underneath her body. One of the officers punches her, at least twice, in the ribs.
Meanwhile, an onlooker is heard on the video screaming, “Why are you hitting her? Her hands underneath her.”
The police response to that question is unbelievable. “She was struck in the side to release her clenched fists,” a statement from the police said, according to WSVN-TV. But that could be kind of difficult if two officers are kneeling on her back while her hands are pinned underneath her body.
Coral Springs Police Deputy Chief Brad McKeone described the blows as “distraction strikes.”
The girl was part of a large group of teens released early from school on Thursday and decided to cause trouble at the mall, according to the police. Most of the teens left the mall when the police arrived. But she was among those who stayed behind and ignored orders to leave. She allegedly resisted when the officers tried to take her into custody.
“She clearly wasn’t aggressive. Everyone could see she was laying there. So I just want justice to be served,” the teen’s mother, Jessica Dennis, stated, as she viewed the video with her attorney. “I’m angry. I would never expect this to happen.”
It wasn’t immediately clear exactly what charges the teen faced, but she was taken to the Juvenile Assessment Center in Fort Lauderdale.
The police justification for punishing the teen is weak, Dennis’ lawyer said. “It’s clear from the video that my client was on the ground. Her hands are under her belly, the officer’s knees are on her back, and he’s just gut-shotting her, like one after another,” the attorney Meeghan Moldof added.
The Most Disgusting, Racist Ads From Political Candidates In 2018
1. Former Georgia Governor Candidate Michael Williams' "Deportation Bus" AdSource: 1 of 13
2. Florida Governor Candidate Ron DeSantis' "Build The Wall" AdSource: 2 of 13
3. Campaign mailer in NJ's 3rd District calling Korean-Am. Andy Kim [D] 'Fishy' And 'Chop Suey'
Source: 3 of 13
Who mailed a racist campaign mailer in NJ's 3rd District calling Korean-Am. Andy Kim [D] "fishy" in "Chop Suey" font? Hint: Kim is challenging Trump's most loyal political ally in the state, Rep. Tom MacArthur, of "Kim, not one of us" infamy: https://t.co/21R9l2to1b— ((("MAGA" refers to "Aryans", not "America".))) (@NotMattBellamy) September 21, 2018
4. Black Republican John James Using Nazi Symbol In AdSource: 4 of 13
5. Republican Governors Association Ad Is 'Worried About' Mexican-American David GarciaSource: 5 of 13
6. Texas Ad Against Colin Allred, Showing A Dark Hand Covering A White Woman's MouthSource: 6 of 13
7. Texas Republicans Attempting To Target Hindu-Americans
Source: 7 of 13
Asking Hindu-Americans if they would rather vote for a donkey or an elephant by comparing Ganesha, a religious figure, to a political party is highly inappropriate.— Sri Preston Kulkarni (@SriPKulkarni) September 18, 2018
The Fort Bend County Republican party must retract this ad. https://t.co/zHyqux9Soc pic.twitter.com/z1Us2oVQ5L
8. Republican Congressman French Hill Bizarre Radio Ad
Source: 8 of 13
This is a real radio ad currently running in Arkansas in support of Republican Congressman French Hill on radio stations targeted to the African American community. I don't even have words to describe it. pic.twitter.com/vpzt1nGPlc— Ben Tribbett (@notlarrysabato) October 18, 2018
9. Georgia Governor Candidate Brian KempSource: 9 of 13
10. And Another One From Brian Kemp...
Source: 10 of 13
Wow. So on the SOS website #BrianKemp has an advance voting video. Take a look at who gets to vote and who doesn’t. Nice messaging, Kemp. Please just #resign already. #gapol #gagov #TeamAbrams pic.twitter.com/D4gmMeb4Cw— Anjali Enjeti (@anjalienjeti) October 18, 2018
11. Rep. Duncan Hunter Tries To Scare People With His 'Palestinian, Mexican, Millennial Democrat' AdSource: 11 of 13
12. National Republican Congressional Committee Trying To Criminalize Antonio Delgado Because He Used To Be A RapperSource: 12 of 13
13. National Republican Congressional Committee Trying To Criminalize Antonio Delgado Because He Used To Be A RapperSource: 13 of 13
Police Offer Flimsy Excuse For Cop Caught On Video Punching Unarmed 14-Year-Old Girl During Arrest was originally published on newsone.com